The Importance of Spaying and Neutering Your Pets
Our pets are part of our family. We love them and it is hard to imagine a life without them. However, our pets require special attention in order to help them remain healthy and happy. This includes taking them to a veterinarian for spaying and neutering. Since most animals, such as cats and dogs, are domesticated and not wild, getting them spayed or neutered is a must-perform surgery to keep them healthy and safe. Augusta Animal Clinic in Indianapolis, Indiana has some information about spaying and neutering and why you should get it done for your pet.
What is Spaying and Neutering?
Spaying and Neutering is a surgical process that removes your pet's ability to reproduce. In male cats and dogs, it is the removal of the testicles. In females, it is a hysterectomy that is specifically performed for their species. Spaying or neutering will prevent them from exhibiting various unwanted behavioral traits that can become detrimental in the household.
The Benefits of Spaying and Neutering
As mentioned, your animal may begin to exhibit unwanted behavior when they reach a certain age if they are not properly spayed or neutered. Your female may ovulate inside your home and your male may exhibit signs of aggression. However, there are other benefits of receiving spaying or neutering for your pet. Some of these include:
- Preventing your animal to reproduce in the event that they become loose and come into contact with another animal.
- Prevents testicular cancer from developing in male animals.
- Neutered males exhibit much more reasonable behavior than if they were un-neutered.
When Should I Spay or Neuter My Animal?
Timing is important when you want to spay or neuter your pet. Let's take a look at what times are reasonable for your cat or dog.
- For dogs, you should expect to neuter or spay them in around six to nine months old. However, they can be spayed or neutered at just eight weeks old.
- Kittens have the ability to be spayed or neutered at just eight weeks old. It is in your best interest to get your cat this treatment sooner than later as they mature faster than dogs do.
Let the Professionals Help You
Having a pet means that you are inclined to take care of them for the rest of their lives. This means that you want to find a veterinary clinic that can help you achieve wellness for your pet. Fortunately, Augusta Animal Clinic in Indianapolis, Indiana is the vet clinic that you can always depend on when it comes to the well-being of your animal. We have years of expertise when it comes to veterinary services, and we aim to help your pet with whatever condition they have. We offer spaying and neutering services as well. Give us a call today at (317) 291-4553 to schedule your appointment with our veterinarian.